Angela Bohnen, MD
Dr. Angela Bohnen completed her undergraduate degree at Centre College in Kentucky and obtained her medical degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. She completed her neurosurgical residency at Northwestern University in Chicago, where she helped pioneer a residency rotation in Rome, focused on international health care and developing collaborative relationships with international colleagues. Dr. Bohnen then completed a neuro-oncology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic where she studied under internationally renowned mentor Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa. Dr. Bohnen’s clinical interests are focused on treatment of primary brain tumors, including gliomas, meningiomas, and pituitary tumors, as well as skull-base and metastatic brain tumors. She has expertise in performing awake craniotomies , brain mapping for eloquent tumors, and minimally invasive brain surgery.
Dr. Bohnen strives to provide the best clinical care based on a patient’s individual needs and believes that compassion is a catalyst for healing. She works with multiple specialty physicians to provide the most comprehensive treatment for her patients. Additionally, Dr. Bohnen is committed to global health education and has participated in multiple medical mission trips.
Bachelor of Science - Centre College
Doctor of Medicine - University of Louisville School of Medicine
Residency - Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Fellowship - Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Associate Surgeon, Mayo Clinic
SCAC Student – Athlete Academic Honor Roll, Softball
Kentucky Academy of Science 3rd place research presentation in Cell and Molecular Biology
Alpha Omega Alpha inductee
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
AMWA Glasgow-Rubin Certificate of Commendation for Academic Achievement
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Medical School Graduate - Cum Laude
- Asmus, S; Anderson, E; Ball, M; Barnes, B; Bohnen, A; Brown, A; Hartley, L; Lally, M; Lundbland, T; Martin, J; Moss, B; Phelps, K; Quiligan, C; Steed, R; Terrell, S; Warner, A. Neurochemical Characterization of Tyrosine Hydroxylase Immunoreactive Interneurons in the Developing Rat Cerebral Cortex. Brain Research. Volume 1222, 30 July 2008. Pages 95-105
- Smith TR, Mithal DS, Park A, Bohnen A, Adel J, Rosenow JM. Emergent Intrathecal Baclofen Withdrawal After Pseuomeningocele Aspiration. Pain Physician 16(2): E113-8, 2013. [PMID:23511686]
- Clooney M, Goergen J, Bohnen AM, Smith ZA, Koski T, Dahdaleh N. The Role of Minimally Invasive Techniques in Scoliosis Correction Surgery. Minimally Invasive Surgery 2018, Article ID 4185840, 6 pages, 2018. doi:10.1155/2018/4185840
- Bohnen AM, Rosenow JM. Electosurgery of the 21st Century: The Role of PEAK PlasmaBlade in Neurostimulation. Operative Neurosurgery. Submitted, pending acceptance.
- LaRocca G, Bohnen AM, Albanese A, Auricchio AM, Marchese E, Olivi A, Puca A, Sabatino G, Sturiale C. Della Pepa GM. Lateral Supraorbital Approach: Assessment of Technique and Outcomes for the Treatment of Unruptured Anterior Communicating and A1/A2 anuerysms. Acta Neurochir. Submitted, pending accepted
- Bohnen AM, Olivi A. Neurosurgical Residency in Italy: An American Trainee’s Experience. JNS. Submitted, pending acceptance