Fotis G. Souslian, MD, FAANS
Dr. Fotis Souslian is an award-winning, board-certified neurosurgeon who completed a renowned orthopedic and neurosurgery fellowship in complex and minimally invasive spine surgery. He has extensive experience treating orthopedic disorders of the spine, ranging from degenerative conditions of the cervical and lumbar spine to minimally invasive techniques to treat sacroiliac joint dysfunction and pain. His experience includes six years of neurotrauma and complex spine surgery experience at a Level I trauma hospital. Dr. Souslian is committed to staying current with the most up-to-date and evidence-based technique and treatments. He has several ongoing research grants, and was an assistant professor with the department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Souslian’s philosophy is to treat his patients as if he were treating his own family. With this in mind, he recommends surgery only if surgery is warranted, and only after all conservative measure have been exhausted. He is particularly interested in cervical and lumbar herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spine deformity, spine and cranial trauma surgery, traumatic brain injury, as well as sacroiliac joint dysfunction and chronic pain.
Bachelor of Science - New Jersey Institute of Technology and Rutgers University Honors Program
Doctor of Medicine - Rutgers University: Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Residency - University of Minnesota; Department of Neurosurgery
Fellowship: Swedish Neuroscience Institute: Complex and MISpine
St Cloud Hospital: Department of Neurosurgery
Regions Hospital: Department of Neurosurgery
Site Director for University of Minnesota Department of Orthopedics:Neurosurgery Rotation for Orthopedic Interns
Neurosurgery liaison for Adult Multidisciplinary Trauma Committee - Regions Hospital (Level 1 trauma Hospital)
American Board of Neurological Surgeons
Congress of Neurological Surgeons
American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
American Medical Association
Minnesota 2019 Top Doctor - Neurosurgery; Minnesota Monthly
Certificate from Research Update in Neuroscience for Neurosurgeons
Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting Scholarship
Armenian General Benevolent Union Professional Student Scholarship
Science Enrichment Program Teaching Fellowship
Honors Scholar, Summa cum laude, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Rutgers University
Rutgers and Johnson and Johnson Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Retrospective Study Correlating Preoperative Nutritional Status to Morbidity in Elective Spine Surgery; April 2018: In process
- Lead neurosurgery investigator for BOOST 3 NIH national grant for severe traumatic brain injury: May 2018.
- Mohammed A Elsherif, Souslian, F. Cranio-Cervical Junction Dissociation Injury With Seemingly Negative Clinico-Radiological Screening: A Case Report And Review Of Literature; April 2018; In Process
- Souslian, F, et al. Cranioplasty Dilemmas Study: Implantation of Disinfected Native Bone Flaps versus Formulated Implants; March 2018. In Process
- Miley J, Tariq N, Souslian, F, Qureshi N, Suri FK, Tummala RP, Vasquez G, Qureshi A. Comparison Between Angioplasty Using Compliant and Non-compliant Balloons for Treatment of Cerebral Vasospasm Associated With Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Neurosurgery. June. 2011
- Tummala, R., Souslian, F. Deshaies, EM., Boulos AS. Extracranial Arterial Stenosis, Chapter 15. Handbook of Neuroendovascular Surgery. Thieme Publishers, New York. November 2011. ISBN 9781604063004
- Hassan AE, Zacharatos H, Souslian F, et al. Long-term clinical and angiographic outcomes in patients with cervico-cranial dissections treated with stent placement – a meta-analysis of case series. Submitted: Journal of Neurotrauma. May 2011
- Divani A, Majidi S, Luo X, Souslian F, et al. The ABCs of Accurate Volumetric Measurement of Cerebral Hematoma. Stroke. May 2011.
- Souslian F, Terzic D, Tummala R. Central Neurocytoma a Case Report and Review of Literature. The American Society of Neuroimaging. Online Journal. 2010.
- Souslian F, Hassan AE, Zacharatos H, et al. Long-term clinical and angiographic outcomes in patients with cervico-cranial dissections treated with stent placement – a meta-analysis of case series. Abstract. Presented at 63d Annual meeting of American Academy of Neurology. April 2011
- Souslian, F. et al. Comparison of Two Measurement Techniques for Hematoma Volume in a Cadaveric Model of Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Digital Poster presented at the 2010, 60th Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Souslian, F. et al. Simultaneous Craniotomy with Splenectomy for Emergent Treatment of Symptomatic Posterior Fossa Hemorrhage in the Setting of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Digital Poster presented at the 2009, 59 th Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons