Parkinson's Disease - Am I a Candidate?
While every Parkinson’s patient must be evaluated to determine if deep brain stimulation (DBS) is right for you, below are general criteria:
- Clear diagnosis of idiopathic (arising spontaneously) Parkinson’s disease
- Absence of dementia
- Any fluctuations in symptoms with levodopa therapy (Parcopa, Sinemet, Stalevo)
- At least some improvement with levodopa therapy
- Lack of serious disease preventing surgery
- No age parameters, but patients under 75 generally do better
Sooner is Better
New research shows that undergoing DBS in the earlier stages of Parkinson’s disease is effective, contrary to earlier recommendations that patients must have the disease for at least seven years to benefit. The study also found DBS to be more effective than medications in controlling tremors in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Call the Denver DBS Center toll-free at 1-855-202-9303 to find out if DBS is right for you.